Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Departure

This is the first installment in the first of the Mongolia journals. I hope everyone enjoys reading it. If you can find just half as much pleasure in the reading as I found as I lived it, it will be well worth your time.

Sunday, August 1, 4:30 p.m.
My packing is done, except for a little fine-tuning. I'm very excited and almost wish it was tomorrow morning already, but not quite. I still need a little more time here in my home, before going to the other side of the world.

Monday, August 2, 3:45 a.m.
I'm waiting for Jerry and Eloise to pick me up. They arrived at 4 a.m. sharp, Jerry loaded my luggage and we were off. Three blocks from the house and I realized I had left my glucometer and insulin on the bathroom counter. No problem, we were early, went back for it. It's not something I could leave behind.

5:00 a.m. We're all checked in and ready to board. A good group - Many I know, but some I don't, so I know I'll make some new friends.

Omar Garcia, our fearless leader, is a wonder. Very organized, and therefore very calm. No running about with his hair on fire, he has it all planned out ahead of time. He's wearing an orange shirt, which makes him easy to find. I'm glad, because I don't plan to stray very far from him.

6:00 a.m. Take off! We're on our way to Mongolia. Who would ever have thought I'd be doing this at age 65? I'm very excited.

I do miss my little Plum. She thought surely she was going, because she usually does when I pack a suitcase, so she brought me some toys while I was packing, as she always does, expecting me to pack them, too. She was very crestfallen when I put her in the bedroom and told her goodbye. David will pick her up later this morning. She's in good hands.

Chicago, 11:00 a.m. We are checking our visas and passports - we already have boarding passes, got them in Dallas. A very pompous ticket agent informed one member of our group that the flight is oversold and therefore there is no seat for him, but no problem, he could take the next flight! Omar, unflappable as always, quietly informed the agent that this is not acceptable and will not happen. Bump a single passenger if you must, but do not pull one member out of a group and bump him, especially as all tickets were purchased at one time and have been reconfirmed at least twice. The man tried to argue, Omar did not argue, simply told him to fix the problem. He did.

12:30 p.m. Sitting in a 777, about to take off for Beijing. Beijing. That's in China! Oh, my!

Still Monday, August 2, 5:30 p.m. Dallas time. This plane is getting smaller. We have hit a few rough patches that make us all stay seated, but when it smooths out, people get up and walk around. The staff are friendly and helpful. At the moment, we're very near the North Pole, and are over a huge icefield. To my surprise, there are patches of open water. They're small, but they're there. I saw a "pilot's halo" over the ice. It's a circular rainbow, and is absolutely beautiful. No sign of Santa Claus anywhere yet.

Tuesday, August 3, 2:00 p.m. China time. We are in Beijing! More later.......

1 comment:

samraat said...

sangambayard-c-m.com